Curried Pumpkin Lentil Soup
This warming red lentil soup has been a fall favorite among Yummy Mummy Kitchen readers for years! With creamy pumpkin and spiced with curry powder, Curried Pumpkin Lentil Soup makes a wonderful fall vegetarian or vegan dinner.
Pumpkin, curry powder, warmth, a touch of sweetness, creamy coconut milk. This hearty pumpkin lentil soup soup is like fall in a bowl. Oftentimes fall recipes are heavy and fattening – but not this one. Lentils pack a big amount of vegetarian protein, iron, filling fiber, and other important vitamins into a little caloric package. This soup is comfort food at it’s healthiest!
I’ve made many other lentil recipes here too. If you love lentil soup like I do, be sure to check out my favorite Instant Pot Lentil Soup, Mexican Lentil Soup, Lemony Lentil Soup, and Tuscan Lentil Soup. If you’re not in the mood for soup, I’ve got you covered too. Head over to my favorite recipes for Mediterranean Lentil Salad, Vegan Lentil Loaf, Lentil “Meatballs”, and Lentil Bolognese!
Both my girls and my husband loved this soup even more than I was expecting and were excited for leftovers the next day. I had all the ingredients in my pantry and used canned pumpkin puree for the sake of convenience. Next time I think I will roast a sugar pumpkin or other squash and leave the roasted flesh in chunks.
I served this healthy soup for an easy weeknight dinner along with a salad and pita pockets (with cheese melted inside for the girls). The girls loved dipping their pitas in the soup. This is admittedly not the prettiest soup I’ve ever seen. Some fresh green herbs sprinkled over the top and some crunchy seeds make a big difference.
Five More Fabulous Fall Soup Recipes
Creamy Pumpkin Soup from Cooking Light
Pumpkin Soup with Toasted Walnuts from GoodLife Eats
Thai Spiced Pumpkin Soup from 101 Cookbooks
Baked Potato Soup with Bacon, Onion, and Cheddar from The Kitchn
Curried Carrot and Apple Soup from Farmgirl Gourmet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 48 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pure pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder (can add more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils (green lentils are okay too if that's what you have on hand)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave or maple syrup)
- fresh cilantro or sliced green onions for garnish
- 1 tablespoon pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for garnish
- plain yogurt or cashew cream, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until beginning to soften, about 7 minutes. Add the apple, and continue to saute until both the apple and onion are tender. Add vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Whisk in pumpkin, curry, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in lentils, coconut milk, and honey. Simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes until thickened. Adjust spices to taste. Serve in bowls and garnish with a dollop of yogurt and/or pepitas and fresh herbs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 910mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 8gSugar: 13gProtein: 11g