How to Make Acai Bowls
A few years ago my friend Liz come back from a trip to Brazil raving about the pristine beaches, beautiful people, and a delicious new food she tried called acai. Pronounced ah-sah-yee, acai berries come from acai palm trees found in Central and South America. They are touted as being a superfood for anti-aging, weight loss, skin health, and overall health. You can check out all the incredible health benefits over on Dr. Axe. In recent years I’ve seen acai pop up in smoothie shops and health food stores, but I hadn’t tried it until now. I have seriously been missing out – why didn’t I listen to Liz? I get what all the fuss is about now. Acai smoothies and bowls are incredibly refreshing, naturally sweet, and a great natural energy boost. An acai bowl with granola and fresh berries is my new favorite summertime breakfast or snack. Are you an acai fan too?
You just know something naturally that dark purple has to be good for you. Though you can buy acai bowls, they’re easy to make and much less expensive when you do it yourself. Frozen pouches of pure acai can be found at Whole Foods and other natural foods stores. Look for it near the frozen fruit. Break it into large chunks and give it a good whirl in the food processor with any other frozen fruit and a banana, and you have a highly nutritious breakfast. No food processor? Use a blender, but add just enough apple or berry juice to blend.
I’ve added a video below so you can see how easy it is to make your own acai bowls at home. Those ingredients are for a more tropical version. The fun with acai is that you can add whatever fruits you happen to have in your freezer.
Acai bowls are refreshing, nourishing, creamy, and delicious. I know you’re going to enjoy this naturally sweet treat!
- 7 ounces frozen acai (available in the freezer section of Whole Foods and other grocery stores)
- 1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango are all good choices)
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup granola
- 1/4 cup fresh berries (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced banana (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh mint (optional garnish)
- Break the frozen acai up into large chunks while still in the packaging. Remove from packaging, and place frozen acai chunks, frozen fruit, and banana in a food processor. Alternatively, use a blender with a little juice to blend. Transfer blended mixture to a bowl or bowls and sprinkle with granola and fresh fruit. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 16mg Carbohydrates: 64g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 39g Protein: 6g