Spinach & Egg Filo Cups
Eggs baked in filo dough cups with spinach and cheese at the bottom and garnished with chives. These easy baked egg cups are a delicious vegetarian brunch or breakfast idea.
With an abundance of organic backyard chicken eggs at the moment, I’ve been working on new egg recipes. This baked egg in filo dough recipe is one of my very favorites. With spinach and cheese at the bottom of the filo cups, and a baked egg on top, these dainty baked egg cups are just perfect for breakfast or brunch. My kids absolutely love them and I let them eat these egg cups hand-held style. I love that these filo egg cups are special enough for an Easter brunch, but with just 5 ingredients, simple enough for a weekend breakfast.
I have some exciting news about our chickens!
HeartKiss laid her first egg! An Ameraucana, HeartKiss lays blue-green eggs. B (4) found this one behind a bush. HeartKiss is still learning to use the coop nesting boxes for laying. The next day Nice Girl got the idea and started laying too. Peer pressure?
Aside from the heartache of losing a few chickens to predators, raising hens has been so much fun. Remember meeting our chicks here and here? They are such sweet and gentle animals. Watching them play in the backyard and hearing them clucking is surprisingly relaxing. It almost makes me feel like we are living in the French countryside. Almost.
And the eggs… Not only are they beautiful, they are taste fresher too. I love that our girls are gaining an appreciation for where eggs come from and learning that food does not originate from a grocery store. The girls thank the chickens when they collect the eggs and give them big bear-hugs.
Eggs and spinach baked into filo dough make a healthy, low calorie, high protein breakfast, lunch or dinner. This recipe is elegant enough for a fancy brunch, but simple enough for a busy weekday. I like this for dinner with a side salad. Left overs are perfect for packed lunches. The idea for this recipe came from a mermaid birthday brunch we attended last week. My friend, Devon, made yummy eggs baked into turkey cups. I simply vegetarian-ized the idea.
Spinach & Egg Fillo Cups
Eggs and spinach baked into filo dough cups are perfect for breakfast or brunch.
- 1 box filo dough, thawed
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 2 oz favorite cheese, sliced
- 12 eggs
- Chives, sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Lay 5 sheets of filo dough on top of each other, spraying each sheet lightly with cooking spray, or brushing with olive oil.
- Using a 4″ round cookie cutter, or a similarly sized dish to cut around, cut out 12 circles of dough. Press circles into a muffin pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper and toss until wilted. Place wilted spinach into each filo cup. Top with a slice of cheese. Crack one egg into each cup. Bake until egg is cooked but yolk is still slightly runny, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with chives.