Blueberry Oatmeal Scones Recipe
Healthier oatmeal scones made with old fashioned oats and fresh blueberries are such a delicious breakfast, brunch, or tea time treat! My whole family absolutely loves these.
Sunday mornings for us often mean scones from our local bakery. They are delicious, but I can tell they are filled with fat and sugar and not much else. This morning we made our own healthier scones and found they were even tastier! These are crisp on the outside, tender and buttery on the inside, and filled with juicy berries. The oats lend nutritional value and a hearty texture. We will be making these all Summer long. They are quicker and easier than muffins or pancakes too!
Yesterday we headed up the coast to Restoration Oaks Ranch & Blueberry Farm. It’s just about 30 minutes north or Santa Barbara.
We grabbed a couple of pails and started picking, searching for the plumpest, bluest berries.
Blueberry picking is so much for kids and adults. Picking fruit straight from the farm really makes me appreciate the beauty of real food straight from the ground. It’s a great experience for kids, and did I mention the taste? Holy moly, I can’t think of anything that tastes better than sweet juicy summer blueberries off the bush.
With buckets and bellies full with berries we headed home. These blueberries were just beautiful.
While we managed to eat quite a few blueberries by the handful, we saved some for these luscious and healthier oat scones, and I’m so glad we did.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Mix together butter, milk and egg in another bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Mix in blueberries. Scoop 1/2 cup balls of dough and place on cookie sheet a few inches apart. Bake until light brown, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly on rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g