Wednesday, May 10, 2017 / ... comments / dinner , Featured , Gluten Free , Spring , Summer , Vegan , Vegetarian , zucchini
One Pan Zucchini Noodles with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
This zucchini noodle recipe is adapted from one of my most popular summer recipes, Capellini with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. Readers and friends absolutely loved that one. It's incredibly simple, but so flavorful and mouthwatering. I love that the pure summery flavors of fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic are at the forefront. Most of the ingredients get tossed into the pot at once to roast. Fresh cherry tomatoes sweeten up and burst while being roasted in the oven or stovetop with garlic and white wine. This recipe is even quicker than the original pasta version, as once the tomatoes are done cooking, I add the zucchini noodles to the same pot and let them soften for a few minutes. To make this zucchini dish a meal, I like to add hearty white beans. Beans are a great source of plant based protein. White beans like Cannellini are a natural choice as they are so often used in Italian cooking.
How to Cook Zucchini Noodles
While zucchini noodles look a lot like spaghetti pasta, they must be cooked much differently. First, you'll need a spiralizer. I first tried a julienne peeler and a small spiralizer before realizing that the one shown in the video is the way to go. I've linked to the one I use at the bottom of this post. A good spiralizer can turn a zucchini into noodles in just seconds. It's so easy. Next, forget about the pot of boiling water used for wheat pasta. Zucchini noodles cook far too quickly to be boiled. A quick sauté is all these noodles need to soften up. The trick is not overcooking zucchini noodles, they can quickly turn watery and mushy. We are going for al dente here.
I hope you try this beautiful, easy, nourishing recipe. Let me know what you think here or over on Instagram.
Shop This Post (amazon affiliate links)
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
Zucchini Noodles with Roasted Cherry Tomatoesyummy mummy kitchen
One pan zucchini noodles with roasted cherry tomatoes and white beans is a flavorful and easy meal. It's on the table in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1/4 teaspoon sea or pink salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine such as Pinot Grigio (or vegetable broth)
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans such as cannellini, drained
- 4 medium sized zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart vegan cheese)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- In a large skillet or pot, stir together the olive oil, sliced garlic, salt, pepper flakes, wine, and tomatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the tomatoes have popped.
- Stir in the beans and spiralized zucchini and sauté for 3 minutes, or until the zucchini noodles are al dente. Do not overcook the noodles or they will become mushy and watery. You just want to soften them a little. Stir in fresh basil and parmesan.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 28 mins.
- Calories: 248
- Fat: 10
- Totalcarbs: 31
- Protein: 10
Tags: zucchini noodles, zoodles, vegan, vegetarian