Sunday, April 9, 2017 / ... comments / buddha bowls , dinner , Featured , Gluten Free , Mexican , rainbow bowls , Vegan , Vegetarian
Quinoa Burrito Bowls with Fajita Veggies
Vegan fajita bowls with quinoa, black beans, and peppers. This easy recipe is like a vegetarian burrito bowl with sheet pan fajita veggies.
Mexican food is one of my favorite things to eat. Maybe it has something to do with growing up in southern California, where we have pretty incredible Mexican food. I mean, Julia Chid's favorite taco place, La Super Rica, is just a few miles away. Take out, in my mind, is almost always a burrito to-go. And always, always, with guac.
Another favorite meal for me in recent years is the Buddha bowl. If you missed my other Buddha Bowl posts, 30 Best Buddha Bowls and Sheet Pan Veggie Buddha Bowls, this meal consists of a grain base topped with veggies, protein, and sometimes a sauce. Buddha bowls are not only visually fun and exciting, they are piled high with nourishing ingredients to make us feel our best.
This quinoa fajita bowl with a rainbow of colors reminds me a lot of Buddha bowls. This one, though, is a variation on the Quinoa Taco Bowls I posted a couple of years ago. It seems I make some version of burrito or taco quinoa bowls almost weekly. The kids like theirs with a tortilla to fill, and I like mine as-is, or perhaps with a few chips. Though Mexican rice would be a more traditional base, quinoa is my go-to for a few of reasons. Quinoa is a complete protein, is quick and easy to cook, and I love the texture and flavor.
This week I had bell peppers to use up, so I decided to make our burrito bowls fajita style. To make dinner even easier, I cooked all the veggies on a sheet pan in the oven. A sprinkle of seasoning and they're good to go! You can add any other veggies you happen to have. I'm looking forward to incorporating zucchini when it is bursting out of my summer garden. Mushrooms would be a nice addition too.
Fajita Quinoa Bowlsyummy mummy kitchen
Fajita vegetable quinoa bowls make an easy and nutritious dinner.
- 1 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded, cored and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and sliced
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut off
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fajita or taco seasoning
- 2 cups cooked or canned black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1 cup prepared homemade or store bought guacamole
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 lime cut into wedges, for serving
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- tortilla chips or small tortillas for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the peppers, onions, and corn kernels on a sheet pan. Coat with olive oil and fajita seasoning. Roast for 15 minutes or until tender and browned in areas.
- Meanwhile, heat beans and cumin in a small saucepan.
- In large shallow bowls, make beds of quinoa. Top with the peppers, onions, corn, beans and lettuce. Top with guacamole and salsa. Garnish with lime wedges for squeezing and cilantro. Serve with chips or tortillas, if desired.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
- Calories: 450
- Fat: 14
- Totalcarbs: 68
- Protein: 17
Tags: vegan, vegetarian, Mexican, Buddha bowls, burrito bowls
*Nutrition information is approximate and calculated by a third party app based on 1/4 of this recipe served without chips or tortillas.