Tuesday, April 25, 2017 / ... comments / appetizers , Cinco de Mayo Recipes , Featured , Mexican , tacos , Vegan
How to Make Guacamole
Find out how to make a simple guacamole recipe, plus ideas for delicious additions to take your guac to the next level.
Can you believe it's almost Cinco de Mayo? Before we know it it will be summertime. Coincidentally today is also Taco Tuesday, though I say any day is a good day for tacos or guacamole. Am I right? Coming from Southern California, guacamole is one of the first things I learned how to make and is a staple in my home. I make guac for our weekly taco or burrito nights, and my kids often ask to make a simple guacamole to eat with chips and veggies. To simplify and cut out any chopping, sometimes I even make super-fast guacamole with just lime juice and a pinch of garlic salt.
I wanted to share a classic basic guacamole recipe with you, and a few tasty mix-ins or toppings to take your guac to the next level. Yes, we can find pre-made guacamole at most any grocery store these days, which is super convenient. But it's also very easy to make guacamole at home, and it tastes so much better. Basic guacamole requires just a few simple ingredients: avocado, lime, garlic, and salt. To add flavor and crunch, we add finely diced jalepeno and onion or shallot. As I mention in the YouTube video, I prefer shallots here because they are milder. My kids are not always happy with a chunk of raw onion, but they are fine with shallots.
Things you may need (affiliate):
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
Simple Guacamoleyummy mummy kitchen
A recipe for easy guacamole perfect for dips and tacos.
- 2 ripe avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Roma tomato, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils (optional)
- 1/2 mango, diced (optional)
- Cut avocados in half, remove the seeds, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add lime juice, garlic, shallot, jalapeno, and cilantro. Mash with a fork. Season to taste with salt.
- Stir in tomato, pomegranate, or mango, if desired. Enjoy with tortilla chips or on tacos.
- Guacamole can be made an hour or two in advance. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 15
- Totalcarbs: 11
- Protein: 2
- Sodium: 156
Tags: easy guacamole, Mexican, dips
*Nutrition information is approximate and based on 1/4 of this recipe without any additions.