Wednesday, March 22, 2017 / ... comments / Chocolate , Dessert , Featured , fruit , healthy desserts
Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Split Bites
You know when you just crave a sweet little treat after dinner? These little frozen chocolate covered banana split bites have been my go-to chocolate fix this week. They are incredibly easy to make and require just five simple ingredients you may already have at home. Strawberry season is starting soon and if you find yourself with more than you can eat, these are a pretty tasty solution. Chocolate covered banana bites are a classic treat, but I wanted to take them a step further and add strawberries and almonds for even more flavor and texture. These frozen banana bites are sweet, but not too sweet, creamy from the bananas, a little tart from the strawberries, and have the perfect salty crunch from the nuts.
My kids absolutely loved these little bites. This recipe makes about 12 bites and we went through them in one day. So today I'll be making another, larger batch to keep in the freezer. I am so excited to have these ready to go during the summer when we have friends over. There are several options for the chocolate. I used Enjoy Life brand, which are dairy, nut, and gluten free. Another brand I like is Lily's Sweets, which is vegan and sweetened with stevia. If you would like to make these banana split bites for a group of children, you could easy make them nut and allergy friendly by omitting the almonds or replacing them with shelled sunflower seeds.
Products you may need (Amazon Affiliate Links)
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Split Bitesyummy mummy kitchen
These chocolate covered frozen banana split bites make a delicious healthier treat. These are easy to make vegan and gluten-free. You're going to love these tasty little bites!
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life or Lily's Sweets
- 1/8 cup coconut butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 banana, cut into 1/4" thick slices crosswise
- 1 pint strawberries, cut into 1/4" thick slices crosswise
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- Line a mini muffin tin with mini muffin wrappers. Coat the inside of wrappers with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut butter in a double boiler (glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water) stirring until smooth.
- Spoon a thin layer of melted chocolate into the bottoms of muffin cups. Top with one slice of banana and one slice of strawberry. Cover with another thin layer of melted chocolate. Use the spoon to move the chocolate around to the sides so that it encases the fruit. You may need to use small-medium sized strawberries so that they don't seal out the chocolate from dripping down the sides. Top with chopped nuts. Continue until you've used up your ingredients. Freeze for at least two hours.
- Chocolate banana split bites will be perfect to eat when allowed to thaw just a couple of minutes.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 10 mins.