Thursday, February 16, 2017 / ... comments / Featured , Soup , Vegan , Vegetarian
Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Soup
You won't believe how easy it is to make this comforting, wholesome roasted cauliflower soup. Cauliflower turns perfectly creamy, without any cream or dairy! You're just a few simple ingredients away from this healthy vegan soup. If you're trying to get more vegetables into your diet, here's a tasty way to do just that!
I have a confession. I am a huge veggie lover. I love almost all veggies and one of my biggest cravings is for a particular kale salad from Whole Foods. But there's one veggie I have never liked, and that's cauliflower. It's always seems so boring, so bland, and the texture... just terrible. There are so many other cruciferous veggies I like - roasted broccoli and Brussels sprouts to name a couple. But my dislike for cauliflower has completely changed with this dreamy soup. Having mashed cauliflower in with potatoes in the past, I knew it would turn nice and creamy in a soup, so I grabbed a couple of caulis at the market.
After a roast in the oven and puree with other flavorful ingredients like garlic, onion, and cumin, cauliflower becomes rich and creamy. This soup is so creamy that it reminds me of a potato soup. It's hard to believe that there is not any dairy in this soup at all. Just pure plant based ingredients. I have made this roasted cauliflower soup a few times now while working on the recipe. I've made it both with and without added white beans. I couldn't tell the difference between the two versions. Adding white beans to the mix boosts the protein content, which is what I wanted when serving this as a light main dish.
I never thought I would be making a recipe with two whole heads of cauliflower, but I'm so glad I did. This soup is creamy, comforting, and perfect for chilly days. Yummy Hubby and I loved it, my 9 year old happily finished her bowl, but my 6 year old was not a fan. I'm okay with that, sometimes it takes a few tries.
Easy Vegan Roasted Cauliflower and White Bean Soupyummy mummy kitchen
PRINTER FRIENDLY RECIPE
Creamy, healthy, vegan cauliflower soup.
- 2 heads cauliflower, broken up into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can canellini beans, drained
- fresh chives, sliced, for garnish
- hot sauce, to taste
- croutons or crusty bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the cauliflower florets on a large baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large soup pot. Saute the chopped onion until softened and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and saute another minute longer. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Add the roasted cauliflower and white beans to the pot. Simmer until the cauliflower is very soft, about 10 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool a bit and very carefully transfer to a blender to puree. Add a few dashes of hot sauce to taste. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. To thin the soup, add more vegetable broth or water, if desired.
- To serve the soup, top with chives, a dash of hot sauce, and croutons or serve with crusty bread.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Total time: 55 mins.
- Calories: 176
- Totalcarbs: 26
- Fat: 7
- Protein: 8
Tags: soup, vegan, vegetarian, paleo
*Nutrition information is calculated by MyFitnessPal and is approximate. In this recipe it does not include bread or croutons.