Wednesday, October 26, 2016 / ... comments / Christmas , Dessert , Featured , Holiday , Pumpkin , Thanksgiving , Vegan , vegan cheesecake , vegan treats
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
This easy, healthier vegan cheesecake is just as delicious as the original. It's perfect for Thanksgiving or any day.
I used to crave pumpkin cheesecake every time fall would roll around. I mean, it is beyond delicious, and I still can't resist the samples at Costco. But it's a love-hate relationship. The pumpkin cheesecake has always been the sole reason for my terrible tummy aches after Thanksgiving dinner. With all that dairy and sugar, feeling bloated is kind of inevitable. After posting the vegan key lime and blackberry pie a few months ago, I knew I had to make a pumpkin version. That key lime pie was such a hit it was shared on Elle, Fitness Magazine, and the Kitchn! I was so excited. Transforming the pie for fall was easy. This vegan pumpkin cheesecake is creamy, cold, and comforting. It's filled with good fats, protein and fiber, though nobody would ever know. I'm just as satisfied eating a slice of this healthier pumpkin cheesecake as the naughty version, and I feel great about having a slice for breakfast before yoga class. Instead of heavy dairy, this pumpkin cheesecake has a cashew cream base. Have you tried cashew cream recipes yet? The key is to use raw cashews, so your dish doesn't end up tasting nutty. The pumpkin cheesecake ingredients get blended up in the food processor in under 5 minutes. It's so much easier than waiting for a traditional pumpkin cheesecake to bake away and hoping it doesn't develop an ugly crack down the center.
Hello gorgeous vegan pumpkin cheesecake! When I spotted fresh cranberries at the market this week it took all my strength not to Instagram the moment immediately. Fresh cranberries are only available now through about December. I absolutely love fresh cranberries in pumpkin bread. They pop and add the perfect touch of tartness. And it's not Thanksgiving without fresh cranberry sauce. One of my favorite uses for them, however, is to make sugared cranberries. They are easily transformed into tasty jewels and are delicious atop this pumpkin cheesecake. This vegan pumpkin cheesecake is also tasty topped with pomegranate arils or whipped cream.Let's talk about the crust. To make this vegan pumpkin cheesecake super natural, paleo, and extra hearty, try a date and nut crust. You can use the crust from this recipe. I went with a traditional graham cracker crust because that's what my kids prefer and I just like it with pumpkin pie.
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
yummy mummy kitchen
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (12 graham crackers), gf if needed
- 1/2 cup melted Organic Earth Balance (or favorite butter alternative)
- 1 ¼ cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight (or 3 hours with boiling water poured over), drained
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree (1 15 oz. can)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, nut, or soy milk
- juice of ½ lemon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together the graham cracker crumbs and melted Earth Balance. Press firmly into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place drained cashews, pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin spice, syrup, milk, lemon, salt and coconut oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and add more syrup if you would like your pie sweeter. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and smooth with a spatula. Place in the freezer to set for at least 2 hours or overnight. Remove from the freezer an hour before serving. Store in the refrigerator and serve chilled with pomegranate arils, sugared cranberries, or whipped cream.
Prep Time: 2 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: pie, cheesecake, Thanksgiving, holiday, vegetarian, vegan, dessert, pumpkin