Monday, October 10, 2016 / ... comments / Christmas , Fall , Gluten Free , Holiday , Salad , Thanksgiving , Vegan , Vegetarian , Winter
20 Persimmon Recipes
Over 20 delicious ways to eat persimmons. Fuyu and Hachiya persimmon recipes.
Persimmons are just coming into season here in California. Neighbors' trees are dripping with these beautiful orange jewels. Persimmons aren't something I remember eating very often growing up, and until a few years ago, I wasn't sure I even liked them at all. I've discovered that I actually do like persimmons, but there are some definite rules with eating them. Some varieties are astringent until very ripe, while others are sweet right off the tree. Several friends with persimmon trees have asked me for persimmon recipes, so I thought I would scour the web for some recipes for us all to use. If you've ever admired a pile of autumn persimmons at the market and thought, "hmmm..." this post is for you! From the autumn salad with persimmons, apples, and pomegranate above, to persimmon muffins and smoothies, these tasty recipes are a great place to start.
How to Eat PersimmonsThere are several varieties of persimmons. The most common are Fuyu and Hachiya. These two persimmon varieties may look similar, but there are important differences.
The Fuyu is the shorter persimmon that looks a bit like an orange tomato. Fuyu persimmons are best eaten raw and firm. They remind me of apples in that I usually just slice and eat. These crisp persimmons add wonderful sweetness and a pop of color to salads, smoothie bowls, and sandwiches. Most often though, I simply sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon and eat the slices.
Hachiya persimmons, the longer ones, are bitter until they are very ripe and soft. It's no wonder I didn't like persimmons at first - I was eating an unripe Hachiya! Many people enjoy Hachiya persimmons scooped with a spoon directly from the fruit. Persionally, I am not a big fan of these persimmons raw, as they just seem, well... mushy. In Japan, Hachiya persimmons are regularly dried whole. Though I've never tried them, Hoshigaki, are said to be a delightful treat with a jam-like center. Hachiya persimmons are perfect for baked goods like persimmon bread.
Fuyu Persimmon Recipes
- Spiced Persimmon Turmeric Tea from Gourmand in the Kitchen
- Persimmon Chutney from Saveur
- Persimmon Pear Caprese Crostini from Reluctant Entertainer
- Ginger Persimmon Scone Muffins from Love and Olive Oil
- Fall Harvest Salad with Crispy Halloumi from Kale and Caramel
- Winter Tabbouleh with persimmons from Bitter Sweet
- Persimmon, Pomegranate, and Farro Salad from Joie de Vivre
- Persimmon Gelato from Magnolia Days
- Persimmon Coconut Chia Puddings from Cooking LSL
- Persimmon Pomegranate Salsa from Angie's Recipes
- Vegan Cranberry Persimmon Crisp with Vanilla Bean Topping from Keeping' It Kind
- Vegan Persimmon and Basil Creme Galette from Cara's Kitchen
- Vegan Persimmon Pie from Forest and Fauna
- Raw Vegan Persimmon Cheesecake from Raw Food Recipes
Hachiya Persimmon Recipes
- Dried Persimmons (Hoshigaki) from Root Simple
- James Beard's Amazing Persimmon Bread on David Lebovitz
- Persimmon Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod
- Persimmon Oatmeal Cookies from Happy Yolks
- Upside Down Persimmon Cake from Delicious Everyday
- Persimmon Banana Breakfast Cookies from Toaster Oven Love
- Easy Persimmon Jam from Peas and Peonies
- Persimmon Sorbet from Busy in Brooklyn
Autumn Salad with Persimmons and Applesyummy mummy kitchen
A delightful autumn salad with baby spinach, persimmons, apples, pepitas, and pomegranate. The perfect balance of sweet, salty, creamy and crunchy.
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- favorite balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or store bought)
- 1 Fuyu persimmon, thinly sliced into half-rounds
- 1 apple, thinly sliced into half-rounds
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese or Kite Hill ricotta (vegan)
- 1-2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- Dress the spinach to taste. I simply whisk together a 1:1 ratio of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic, and a little Dijon mustard for dressing. Top with persimmon, apple, cheese, pepitas and pomegranate
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Tags: salad, autumn, fall, persimmon, fuyu persimmon