Monday, September 19, 2016 / ... comments / Chocolate , Featured , fruit , Ice Cream/Sorbet/Frozen Yogurt , smoothies , Vegan
Protein Nice Cream Pies
I am so excited to tell you about the amazing treats I've been nibbling all weekend long. You've heard of nice cream, yes? It's ice cream, only nice. Nice cream is crazy simple to make. It's basically just frozen bananas whipped up in a food processor. From there your imagination can run wild with flavor variations. My personal favorite is chocolate and peanut butter, as they are just irresistible with banana. Nice cream is most often eaten right when it's made - soft serve style. I like my nice cream made in advance and enjoyed all week long though.
Nice cream pies with a chocolatey protein boost are a delicious post-workout treats, on-the-go breakfasts, or after school snacks. These frozen treats are creamy, cold, rich, and satisfying. Take a few minutes to whip up a dozen mini pies and be ready for a sweet, nourishing treat any time of day. I'd love to say these lasted all week, but they were gone in a matter of days in our house. That's always a good sign!
OLLY sent me their new smoothies to try. I was a little apprehensive at first. I was impressed with the real food ingredients, but have found some plant based smoothies to be chalky or overly sweet in the past. But from the first post-cycle smoothie I made for Yummy Hubby, we were hooked. OLLY blended perfectly into our favorite smoothies. I love that the OLLY Smoothies come in a variety of flavors and functions. From Salted Caramel Slim Smoothie to the Chipper Chocolate Kids Smoothie, there's a smoothie for everyone. You can check out all the smoothies here. OLLY sent me the Nourishing Smoothie in Pure Chocolate and as much as we loved it in smoothie form, I had so much fun creating a non-smoothie recipe. The protein base is a fabulous super food mix of pea protein, chlorella, and flax seed.
OLLY has an awesome giveaway happening right now here. They're giving away a six month supply of their smoothies, plus an Athleta gift card, blender, and more.
I love a frosty protein smoothie after a workout, but protein smoothie in ice cream pie form? Yes yes yes! And chocolate for breakfast? Oooooh yes.
Watch the video on YouTube here.
Watch the video on YouTube here.
yummy mummy kitchen
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- pinch of Himalayan or sea salt
- 6 cups frozen banana slices, thawed for about 5 minutes (about 6 bananas)
- 6 scoops chocolate protein powder, OLLY recommended
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup raspberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)
- To make the crusts, place almonds, coconut, and dates into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until nuts are coarsely ground and mixture just holds together. Not too long, or it will turn into nut butter! Taste and add a pinch of salt if desired. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray. Scoop tablespoons of crust into each muffin tin well and press firmly into the bottom. Place in the freezer and rinse the food processor.
- To make the nice cream, you want frozen but not rock hard bananas. I let mine sit on the counter while I make the crust. Place the bananas and protein powder into food processor. Blend until smooth. This takes a few minutes. Add milk if needed to turn the food processor or wait a few minutes while the bananas thaw a bit more. Taste and add more protein powder if desired. Add the peanut butter and blend or swirl in.
- Smooth the banana mixture into the muffin tin over the crusts. To make peanut butter swirls, place small drops of peanut butter over the nice cream mixture and swirl with a toothpick. Garnish with raspberries and/or cacao nibs if desired. Freeze until firm, at least an hour. Store in the freezer.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 45 mins.
Tags: nice cream, protein, vegan