Saturday, August 6, 2016 / ... comments / Breakfast , Dessert , Sandwiches , Summer
20 Amazing Fig Recipes
It's early August and fresh figs are popping up in farmer's markets, grocery stores, and many of my friends' backyards. A few of my friends have asked me for ideas for using up their bundles of figs, so I've put together a round-up of 20 fig recipes to help us all out. While some people love eating figs all on their own, others prefer fresh figs in recipes. I picked up a bunch of fresh green figs and black/purple figs at the farmers market last week and have been playing with them since. Fresh figs really add such a nice sweet richness to so many recipes. I've enjoyed them for breakfast atop toast spread with almond butter or cream cheese and a pinch of pumpkin pie spice (above), in salads, on ice cream and in sandwiches. What's your favorite way to use late summer figs? Let's take a look at some delicious ways to use up fresh figs, from my kitchen and around the web...
One of my girlfriends (hi La!) and her 9 year old son were telling me that they had the most incredible dessert at lunch at Metropolis here in Santa Barbara. They both raved about the chocolate covered figs, so I knew I had to make so me at home with my farmer's market fresh figs. These are so easy to make. Just melt some chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and dip away. I added a sprinkle of hemp to some, hazelnuts and pumpkin seeds to others.
My favorite way to eat fresh figs, however, is probably in this fancy grilled cheese. Can grilled cheese even be fancy? I don't know, but this is totally delicious. Recipe at the end!
Oh, oh! No, on a cheese board is definitely my favorite way to enjoy fresh figs when there are friends around. I pulled this one from my Instagram from last year. I loved the freshness and color that the figs added, but the flavor is perfect with cheese. VEGAN/DAIRY-FREE FRIENDS: you can totally do this! Check out these 14 Vegan Cheeses That Will Make You Forget About The Real Thing.
6. Fresh Fig Salad with Blackberries from Flavour & Savour
Fresh Fig and Avocado Grilled Cheeseyummy mummy kitchen
This grilled cheese sandwich filled with avocado, spinach, and a touch of sweetness from fresh figs is pure deliciousness.
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1-2 fresh figs, sliced
- 1/2 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- favorite cheese (white cheddar works well or dairy-free)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Earth Balance
- Assemble the sandwich with avocado slices, figs, and spinach on the bottom piece of bread. Cover with cheese and then the top piece of bread.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet. Place the sandwich into the butter and cover the pan. Cook until bottom piece of bread is toasted and then flip. Cook until cheese has melted and other piece of bread is toasty. Cut in half and enjoy!
Prep Time: 3 mins.
Total time: 10 mins.
Tags: fresh figs, sandwiches, summer, lunch, grilled cheese