Thursday, March 3, 2016 / ... comments / lunch recipes , snacks , Vegetarian
Stuffed Avocados 5 Ways
Simple and delicious stuffed avocado recipes.
Avocados have long been one of my favorite foods. Just give me half an avocado, a sprinkling of Himalayan pink salt, and a spoon and I'm a happy gal. My girls do the same thing. Some people worry that avocado is fattening, and though this fruit does have high fat content, that doesn't mean it makes you fat. Avocados are very nutritious! They are high in vitamin K, folate, vitamin c, potassium (more than a banana!), vitamins B, and E. Eating avocados can even lower cholesterol levels. And so much more. Source.
Since we are doing a little bathroom remodel at the moment I have been trying to work outside the house (my usual office) and quickly grabbing some lunch to take with me. My go-to this week has been stuffed avocados. I am having so much fun stuffing ALL THE AVOCADOS. These stuffed avocados are delicious and nourishing, and since they come in their own little disposable avocado skin bowls, there's very little clean-up. Here are my favorite stuffed avocado recipes in order of my preference.
1. Lentil Bruschetta Stuffed Avocados (pictured above & recipe at the end)
3. Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Avocados. Mix up a little cooked quinoa with black beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, and any other veggies. This one would be fantastic with some melted cheddar on top!
4. Tuna Salad Stuffed Avocado. I will confess I'm not a huge lover of tuna, but one of my daughters likes it, so this one was for her.
5. I don't have a picture, but eggs baked in avocados are perfect for breakfast on the go!
The lentil and tomato bruschetta combo came from a Trader Joe's sample. My girlfriends and I have been making lentils this way for parties ever since and it's always a crowd pleaser. To make this extra simple, I often grab a container of pre-made bruschetta and toss it with cooked lentils, but you could of course make your own tomato bruschetta.
Lentil Bruschetta Stuffed AvocadosYummy Mummy Kitchen
Easy avocados stuffed with lentil tomato bruschetta.
- 1 cup cooked lentils (green or French lentils)
- 1 cup prepared tomato bruschetta (I used Trader Joe's)
- fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- crackers or crostini, for scooping (optional)
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and seeds removed
- In a small-medium bowl, stir together the lentils and bruschetta. Spoon into the avocado cavity where the seed was and mound over the top. Garnish with basil.
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Total time: 5 mins.
Tags: lentils, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, lunch, snack