Tuesday, March 29, 2016 / ... comments / dinner , Fall , Gluten Free , Spring , Summer , Vegan , Vegetarian , Winter
Avocado Rose Vegetarian Tostadas
Vegetarian tostadas with avocado make a simple weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Mexican food is one of our family's busy night go-to dinners. Tacos, burritos, and tostadas are ready in under 30 minutes. So I can have dinner on the table faster and cheaper than if we had gotten burritos to go. Not to mention that when you make your own, quality control is easy. We almost always have a pack of tortillas and a can of beans around for those busy days when I haven't gotten around to planning dinner. Today I fancied up our super fast tostadas with avocado flowers. Now, avocado flowers are not my invention. I think these beauties have origins in Japanese cooking. Lately they have been gracing toasts all over Instagram. And I had to try them. I found some helpful pictures at Wholly Vegan. To my surprise, making avocado flowers is pretty easy and I didn't waste a single precious avo. Also, to my surprise, avocado flowers didn't take any longer than my usual guacamole. The key is slicing the avocado very thinly and using a perfect avocado that's not too soft.
Vegetarian Tostadas with Avocado RosesYummy Mummy Kitchen
Vegetarian tostadas for a simple weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1-2 (15 oz.) cans fat free refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 9 oz. shredded cabbage
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 avocados, halved, peeled, pitted and sliced or formed into roses
- 2 limes
- sea salt or garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tortillas in a frying pan coated with a little olive oil set over medium high heat. Cook, turning frequently, until toasted on both sides, about 3 minutes.
- Place toasted tortillas on a baking sheet and spread with a layer of beans. Sprinkle with a layer of cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 7 minutes. Top with shredded cabbage, salsa, and avocado. Sprinkle with lime juice and salt.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
*Vegan Option: Omit the cheese or use a vegan cheese.
*Gluten Free Option: Be sure your tortillas are gf.