Saturday, May 23, 2015 / ... comments / Dessert , Fourth of July , healthy desserts , Memorial Day , Raw , Spring , Summer , Vegan
Raw Vegan Berry Tarts
Memorial Day is a couple of days away so I had to share this healthy red, white, and blue treat with you. We are loving all the summer berries lately. Our strawberry plants are producing lots of sweet berries and the markets have plenty of perfectly plump blueberries. This has a crust that is guilt free - just nuts, dates, and coconut. The filling is coconut whipped cream and for the beautiful patriotic topping - nothing beats fresh berries. They are nature's candy. I love that this recipe is made with 100% plants and no refined sugar.
keep reading for the recipe!
To make the crust, blend the dates, nuts, coconut, and cacao. Your "dough" should be crumbly but able to be pressed together. Little pieces of nuts are good - it's what gives the crust its crunch. If the crust gets too finely ground and forms a ball, it ends up more chewy than crunchy.
Line a muffin tin with plastic wrap. It makes removal much much easier. Press tablespoons of dough into the bottom and up the sides a little and pop in the freezer.
Make some whipped cream or coconut whipped cream and pipe or spoon into the shells. In my family we are split on who prefers whipped heavy cream to coconut cream. The coconut version is a delicious option for vegans or those who can't tolerate dairy.
Top with berries, and you're done!
Raw Vegan Berry Tart Recipe
printer friendly recipe
Yield: Makes about 12
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted (about 8 dates)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder (optional)
- 1 batch coconut whipped cream recipe here
- 1 (16 oz.) container fresh strawberries, cut into wedges
- 1 small container fresh blueberries
- fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Line a muffin tin with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend dates, almonds, coconut, and cacao until crumbly but holds together when pressed. Add a few drops of water if too dry. Press tablespoons of this dough into the prepared muffin tin cups and slightly up the sides. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Fill shells with whipped cream. You can use spoons or pipe with a plastic bag. Save left over whipped cream for another use. I like it on my coffee!
- Decorate the whipped cream with berries and garnish with fresh mint if desired.
- You can refrigerate or freeze until ready to serve. I like these best frozen and then allowed to thaw 5-10 minutes before serving.