Tuesday, January 6, 2015 / ... comments / Chia Seeds , Green Smoothie Recipe , smoothies , Vegan , Vegetarian
Pineapple, Kiwi, and Greens Smoothie
We love our smoothies over here. My Vitamix gets its workout daily. Usually multiple times a day. Today I made my girls' daily smoothie a little more fun and tropical. The only thing missing was a warm beach, Hawaiian music, and a pineapple to drink our smoothies from. The girls are on a kiwi kick at the moment so I thought a kiwi smoothie would be the perfect opportunity to sneak in some dark leafy greens. Waaahahaha, sneaky, sneaky. They loved this one and had no idea there was a cup of baby kale in the mix.
Did you know that kiwi is even higher in Vitamin C than oranges? This is smoothie is a fabulous immune booster.
Smoothie tester approved! Those kiwi "seeds" are actually chia seeds.
The trick to making the fancy schmancy layers is simple. Blend up the first ingredients, pour into a glass and set in the freezer while you blend up the second half. Isn't it pretty!
Did you make one of my recipes? I'd love to see it so please tag me on instragram @marina_yummymummykitchen
Tropical Kiwi Green Smoothie
Yield: 1 large or 2 small smoothies
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced prior to freezing
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 seedless orange, peeled
- 2 kiwi, peeled
- 1 cup baby spinach or baby kale
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- Place almond milk, HALF of the banana, 1 cup of the pineapple, 1/4 of the orange, and a few ice cubes into the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass(s) and put in the freezer while you make the second layer.
- Place 1/2 of the orange, remaining 1/2 cup pineapple, 1 peeled kiwi, spinach or kale, and another small handful of ice in the blender and blend until smooth. Stir in chia seeds. Pour the green layer on top of the yellow layer. Chop the remaining kiwi and add top the smoothie for garnish.