Wednesday, December 3, 2014 / ... comments / appetizers , entertaining , Holiday , lunch recipes , Seafood , Sponsored
Holiday Tuna Recipes with Bumble Bee
A few weeks ago I received a package from Bumble Bee along with a challenge to create festive holiday recipes with their new and classic tuna. When we were in northern Italy over the summer I noticed that almost every restaurant and panini stop we visited had some form of canned tuna on the menu. I often ordered Insalata Tonno, a salad of crisp greens, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, canned tuna in olive oil, and sometimes carrots and corn. So when I heard from Bumble Bee I thought it would be fun to come up with some new ways to use tuna. Canned tuna is an excellent source of Omega-3 and protein that's inexpensive and can be kept in your pantry for a long time. Here are 3 new ways to use tuna. You'll find the recipes at the end of the post.
- Pictured above: Cranberry Tuna Wraps with Avocado and Arugula. This tasty recipe is fun for parties, lunch, or a snack to share. I love white or light tuna with cranberries.
3. The classic Insalata con Tonno, so popular in Italy. It reminds me a lot of the French nicoise salad. This hearty protein rich salad is satisfying enough for lunch or dinner.
Cranberry Tuna Wraps with Avocado and Arugula
- 1 can light or white tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonaise
- pinch dried dill
- 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- 1 large avocado, cut into slices
- 2 sheets lavash flatbread
- 2 handfulls arugula
- In a small bowl, mix together tuna, mayo, and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon tuna in a line at one end of the lavash. Add the cranberry sauce, avocado, and arugula next to the tuna.
- Roll the lavash into a wrap. Using a very sharp knife, cut the wrap crosswise in half or into narrower pinwheels.
Flatbread Pesto Pizza with Spinach and Tuna
Yield: makes 2 pizzas
2 pieces of naan or other Middle Eastern flatbread
4 tablespoons prepared pesto
1 can Bumble Bee Albacore Tuna with Sundried Tomatoes and Olive Oil, drained
1 ball fresh mozzarella, drained of water
1 handful fresh baby spinach leaves
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees F.
Spread pesto over the bread. Top with mozzarella, half the spinach, and tuna. Bake until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden and crusty. Top with a few more spinach leaves and cut into pieces.
Insalata con Tonno
Yield: 2 meal-sized salads
- 5 oz. romaine lettuce
- 1 can tuna in olive oil, drained
- 2 boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/3 cup black or kalamata olives
- favorite vinaigrette, or simply olive oil and red wine vinegar
Divide lettuce among two salad plates. Top with tuna, eggs, tomatoes, capers, and olives. Serve with vinaigrette.
*other delicious additions: white beans, carrots, corn, fresh mozzarella
This content was created by me and sponsored by Bumble Bee. Monthly sponsored posts help support the costs of maintaining this site.