Thursday, July 17, 2014 / ... comments / appetizers , Gluten Free , snacks , Summer , Vegetables , Vegetarian , zucchini
Baked Zucchini Fries Recipe
The zucchini plant just keeps on giving. The kids and liked the Parmesan zucchini chips I posted recently, but they were lacking some crunch. So this week we coated some thick zucchini spears/fries with panko breadcrumbs and baked them. I remember as a kid loving the deep fried zucchini dipped in ranch dressing at the local fair. These are a much healthier version but have the same qualities - salty crunch with a warm center!
The girls liked these too. And Mr. Giraffe there. I added some sweet tomatoes from the garden to the plate for a tasty afternoon snack.
To make these fries, simply coat the spears with egg and dredge in seasoned panko or any breadcrumbs. Gluten free breadcrumbs are available at many grocery stores and work just fine. Feel free to add some Parmesan to the mix as well.
Lay coated spears on a cookie sheet brushed with olive oil. Drizzle a little more oil over the tops of the fries and bake at 450 for 7 minutes per side.
Baked Zucchini Fries
printer friendly recipe
Time: 20 minutes
Yield: serves 4 as a snack or side
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (gluten free breadcrumbs if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (or salt with a dash of garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 zucchini, cut into spears or fries
- Ranch dressing or ketchup for dipping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Brush a cookie sheet with a light coating of olive oil.
2. In a shallow dish whisk the egg until smooth. In another shallow dish stir together the breadcrumbs, salt, and herbs.
3. Coat zucchini in egg and then dredge in breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place on cookie sheet. Bake zucchini for 7 minutes. Turn zucchini over and bake an additional 7 minutes. Sprinkle with more salt to taste if desired. Serve warm.